Thursday, January 15, 2009

Heroes?

So, a commercial airliner went down in the Hudson river this afternoon about forty blocks from my building. I'm on the tenth floor, with west-facing windows in the inner offices, so we all rushed into to the copy room to see what we could see. Not much, as it turned out; the taller buildings uptown completely obscured our sightline to the river. But there was an interesting little mini-drama to observe, as we watched a series of helicopters make their way back and forth from (presumably) the accident site back to (presumably) Saint Vincent's Hospital down on 7th & 12th. 

It was a welcome respite from an otherwise drudgingly slow day (which I can say without sounding like too much of a heartless bastard because it seems that everyone survived).  But it did lead to a little disagreement between myself and a colleague, as he read aloud from the initial news reports describing the "heroic" actions of the pilots, and I said something along the lines of "I don't know about heroic."  It just came out automatically; I wasn't trying to make a big point; in fact, I think I was trying to make a bit of a joke by pointing out what struck me as an obvious (and typically news-media-ish) absurdity. But my coworker looked at me like I was insane: "What are you talking about? They just saved all those people." I explained my reasoning to him, which he clearly didn't agree with at all, so I let the issue drop. But it did get me thinking about why what I'd said seemed so obvious to me, and why it didn't to him.

Like most people, I get a bit antsy when I fly. And I think the reason for that fear -- which is totally irrational, probability-wise -- is pretty much what everyone says it is: lack of control. The difference between being a passenger in an airplane and a driver in a car (a way riskier proposition, statistically speaking) is that when you're behind the wheel, you're in control. In an airplane, you're entirely at the mercy of the pilot -- if he/she fucks up, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. So when I'm in a plane and we start taking off, the thing I keep reminding myself is, a) the pilots don't want to crash any more than I do, and b) they have a realistic and functional understanding of how to prevent that from happening (it's my doubts about b that prevent the same logic from assuaging my fears when I'm a passenger in certain people's cars). 

But so here's where I came to my objection to the use of the word "hero" in this case.  My understanding of the definition of a "hero" is, roughly, "someone who puts him- or herself in harm's way for the benefit of other people." But in this case, the saving of the passengers is really just a byproduct of the pilots saving themselves.  It's a known phenomenon that you'll have the highest probability of surviving a catastrophic airline crash if you're seated at the rear of the plane; this is just simple physics (i.e., the design of an airplane is such that it "wants" to go down nose-first). So, realistically, there aren't many scenarios in which the pilots survive a crash and the passengers don't (unless there are some sort of ejector seats in the cockpit that the pilot's union has kept under wraps). 

And I don't know how much these semantic distinctions really matter; I'd certainly agree that the pilots are to be admired for their competence and apparent calm in extremely difficult circumstances. But I don't think that the watering down of these sorts of terms does us any favors -- and in fact, it seems to me that letting them pass unremarked upon kind of nurtures the environment that allows way more dangerous misuses of language. The (maybe too) obvious thing that springs to mind is 9/11, and the continued (in some quarters) references to the people who died in the World Trade Center as "heroes." Umm... how so? I'm not really a betting man, but I'd be willing to wager a substantial amount that most anyone who was given the option, on their way to work that morning, to die a hero or go home a (based on this logic, there's no getting around it) coward would have taken the day off. 

But more than that, it's worth keeping in mind that most any political figure that you might consider a "hero" (Obama most definitely included) is exercising their "heroism" in the pursuit of very self-serving goals (i.e., the gathering of personal power). Not to say that they're not also maybe helping a bunch of other people out, too. But the fact that there's another motive at work there should at the very least make you realize that your best chance of benefitting from any residual "heroism" is to put your interests in alignment with theirs; and, more importantly, that they may be turn out to be a whole lot less "heroic" if you decide to go a different way. And I'd put that on a rather different plane than, say, a Marine who puts himself in front of bullet while his buddies retreat. I just think that people who do things like that (and there are plenty of less-dramatic examples -- kidney donors come to mind for some reason) ought to have their own name. And we shouldn't just go passing it out like party favors. 

ADDENDUM 1/17:
So obviously the crash was all over the New York Times yesterday. I gotta say, the whole thing is pretty miraculous, which is a nice change of pace these days. And also, in light of the above I'd be kind of a dick for not pointing out the following bit of information from the article: "The plane's pilot [Chesley B. Sullenberger] walked the isles of the cabin twice to ensure no one was left behind before he exited." 

See, now that's heroic. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel ya on this... the question then becomes "how does this definition of hero apply to those whose job it is to put themselves in harms way in order to save others" i.e. does the paycheck diminish the action? or at this point does one have to go "above and beyond" what would regularly be expected of him/her? Was it the first or the second check of the cabin that makes him a hero?

Kevin said...

Well for one thing, I would argue that "airplane pilot" doesn't fall into the category of "person whose job it is to put him/herself in harm's way to save others." The job you signed up for is to fly a plane from point A to point B; you're not "saving people's lives" by doing so anymore than a chef is saving people's lives by following the health code and not exposing diners to Salmonella. So in answer to your question, I'd say that staying behind at all to check on the welfare of the passengers is heroic; whether it's his contractual "obligation" to do so doesn't seem significant to me.

I guess where the "hero" thing becomes really problematic is when you get into jobs where it really is part of your job to put yourself in harm's way. This comes up a lot with soldiers and cops; it's a kind of knee-jerk reaction amongst a lot of police and military types to react to any criticism with "You don't know what it's like -- we put our lives on the line every day."

But it seems to me that it's a completely legit response to say, "Well if that bothers you so much, you're clearly in the wrong profession." Because this is where shit gets really fuzzy: to my thinking, US military personnel have, over the last eight years, been used primarily in operations that have done a lot to make me less safe. And this is totally removed from what the intention of the soldiers in question was when they joined up, and of course we'll never know what would have happened if they hadn't been sent on those operations. But do you see what I'm saying?